Creamy Dreamy Coconut Rice Pudding
This comforting, nourishing coconut rice pudding is a delicious treat, be it for breakfast or dessert!
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½-¾ cup milk cow's, almond or soy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1½ tablespoons sugar honey or maple syrup
- fruit of your choice fresh, stewed or canned
- a sprinkle of cinnamon optional
- Mix together rice, coconut milk and milk with vanilla essence in a small saucepan and simmer on the stove stirring frequently (to avoid it burning on the bottom), for about 5-8 minutes until thick and creamy. Stir through sweetener of choice.
- To serve, spoon into bowls, top with fruit and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
You need cooked rice for this recipe, so leftovers work perfectly – make extra at night and have rice pudding for breakfast the next day! The best leftover rice to use for rice pudding is short grain or Jasmine rice as it has more starch in it than long grain or Basmati rice, which helps to make it creamier. The addition of coconut milk to this recipe gives it a luscious rich flavour. Serve with fresh, stewed or canned fruit on top.