Cranberry and orange glazed carrots with basil
As far as Christmas side dishes go, these glazed carrots are pretty special!
- 500 g baby carrots
- ¼ cup cranberry jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3 oranges zest of 1, juice of 3
- extra virgin olive oil a drizzle
- 25 g butter diced
- basil leaves chopped to garnish
- Scrub carrots, chop off any stringy tips and trim the leafy tops, leaving a little of their green stalks on.
- Mix cranberry jelly, sugar, zest, juice and oil in a medium-large pot and bring to a simmer. Add carrots, toss, cover with a lid and gently simmer for 5-7 minutes until almost tender. Uncover and simmer for 3-4 minutes until reduced and sticky.
- Add butter, a good pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss to coat carrots in the glaze. Serve hot, garnished with fresh basil.
These glazed carrots go seriously well with light meat like turkey and ham, but will also work alongside any meat or fish dish at your next dinner party. These carrots are from a NADIA magazine story with all my best Christmas side dish recipes. Check out these Stuffed baby kumara, Roasted spiced cauliflower with caramelised yoghurt and Tomato, green bean, ricotta and basil salad with balsamic glaze for more inspiration! You can make this recipe with normal carrots scrubbed and cut into batons, but I love seeking out baby carrots. Baby carrots have a lovely sweet taste and fresh crunchy texture.