Coconut Sago with Melon
Sago with palm sugar and coconut cream is a common dessert found in Malaysia. Here’s a very simple and more than quick version of one of my favourite childhood desserts, that’s dairy and gluten-free.
- ½ cup sago or tapioca pearls
- 2 ½ cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar muscavado or palm sugar to taste
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 ½ cups honeydew rock melon or mango, diced
- Rinse sago in cold water and drain (to rinse off some of the starch). Put sago and water in a medium sized pot. Bring to the boil while stirring.
- Simmer for 7-8 minutes or until sago is cooked. It is cooked when most of the white balls have turned clear and it is thick and gluggy.
- Mix in sugar to taste, then swirl through coconut cream.
- To serve, divide hot sago between bowls and top with diced melon.
Melon is delicious with sago, but this recipe would work great with any fruit – maybe berries or pineapple?