Chocolate yoghurt and cinnamon prune granola jars
This indulgent (but healthy) yoghurt, fruit and granola jar can quickly be assembled in the morning using simple ingredients piled in layers for a visually splendid start to the day.
- 1½ cups chopped prunes
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or extract
- 1 cup granola or muesli gluten-free if necessary
- Ground cinnamon and cocoa for dusting optional
- Have ready four wide-mouthed jars or pots with lids. Combine prunes, water and cinnamon sticks in a pot. Simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until prunes are very soft and mushed up. Allow to cool.
- Mix yoghurt with cocoa, maple syrup and vanilla to taste (you can add a bit more syrup or cocoa according to how sweet or chocolatey you like it).
- To serve, layer each jar with about 2 Tbsp stewed prunes, ¼ cup chocolate yoghurt and a little under ¼ cup granola. Add another layer of prunes and yoghurt and finish with remaining granola. Dust with cinnamon and cocoa if you like.
- Halve the recipe if only serving two.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. However, at times you can find yourself starting the day with the easiest (not necessarily the healthiest) option. I love these beautiful granola jars, whether I want a delicious breakfast on the go, or I want to sit back, relax and enjoy my morning to the fullest. You can make the stewed prunes and chocolate yoghurt up to a few days ahead and assemble the granola jars on the morning you need them. If you want to make your own, I’ve got a great recipe for gluten-free muesli, otherwise a bought version will work fine.