Chocolate wacky cake
This recipe is ideal if you need to cater for egg or dairy allergies or a vegan diet. It is so quick and easy and results in a soft cake that keeps well.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 1½ cups coconut sugar or brown or caster sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- 1 good teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup neutral oil
- icing sugar fresh fruit and marshmallows (use vegan marshmallows if necessary)
- 200 g dark chocolate
- ¾ cup plain yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 23cm square cake tin or similar.
- Combine the flour, coconut sugar, cocoa, baking soda and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and whisk well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the water, vanilla, vinegar and oil, then pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and whisk until smooth and dark.
- Pour mixture into the lined cake tin and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool before icing.
- Either serve dusted with icing sugar and decorated with fresh fruit and marshmallows or make a fluffy (but not dairy free) chocolate icing. Melt dark chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until smooth (or use a double boiler).
- Cool to room temperature then whisk in enough yoghurt for desired consistency. Ice cake and decorate with toppings of your choice.
You can also use this recipe to make mini muffins for lunch boxes. The cake is dairy free too, so we’ve got two topping ideas: one with dairy, one without. This recipe comes from the October/November issue of NADIA magazine.