Chocolate and rhubarb mousse
Yoghurt, chocolate and rhubarb create an interesting sweet/sour combination in this light mousse. Perfect to serve to guests for dessert at your next dinner party.
- 1 cup vanilla-bean yoghurt
- 1 cup cream
- quantity chocolate ganache chilled to spoonable consistency (see recipe below)
- 4 stalks rhubarb very finely sliced
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup water
- raspberries or a few drops pink food colouring 4-5 fresh or frozen
- 400 g dark chocolate roughly chopped
- 250 ml cream
- Combine the yoghurt and cream in a medium bowl and whisk until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Reserve ½ cup of this mixture and chill in the fridge.
- Fold ganache into the remaining yoghurt cream mixture and blend until smooth.
- Divide chocolate mousse between serving glasses and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, simmer the sliced rhubarb, sugar and water until soft and pulpy (about 5 minutes).
- Add the raspberries (or colouring) and cook for 2-3 minutes to tint the rhubarb pink.
- Allow rhubarb to cool completely, then spoon onto the mousse. Top with yoghurt cream and a swirl of rhubarb.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- Gently heat the cream on the stovetop until near boiling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute, then stir together until smooth, dark and glossy. Leave to cool.
- Once cool, refrigerate until chilled to spoonable consistency.
Yoghurt is combined with cream to make this mousse both lighter and more flavourful. If you want a more tart flavour, use Greek yoghurt instead of the vanilla-bean. Stewed rhubarb is one of my favourite desserts in Winter. I love it with a warm custard or vanilla ice cream, and it goes very well with rich chocolate flavours like with this mousse. This dessert always looks great served in martini glasses for a touch of luxury. Otherwise, go for cute tea cups on matching saucers if that’s more your style. For more mousse ideas, check out my chocolate avocado mousse, silky chocolate mousse with marshmallows or dulce le leche lime mousse with mango.