Choco-nut energy balls
These chocolatey, nutty energy balls were an great, convenient energy snack in my first few weeks of being a new mum, as well as a delicious treat!
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons nut butter e.g. hazelnut, almond, cashew nut or even peanut
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder or good quality dark cocoa powder e.g Dutch cocoa
- 4 medjool dates pitted (or 6-7 normal dried dates soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1½ tablespoons maple syrup optional
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blitz until well combined and the mixture holds together well when pressed between your fingers. If the mixture is too dry – add a bit more nut butter; if the mixture is too wet, add a couple more tablespoons of rolled oats. Roll tablespoons of mixture into balls. Store in an airtight container in the pantry (up to 1 week) or fridge (up to 2 weeks). Alternatively freeze for up to two months.
They’re dairy and refined sugar-free. To make gluten-free, replace oats with ground almonds.