Chilli hot chocolate with maple cream
Mmm what a delicious Winter treat – chilli hot chocolate with maple cream is sure to warm you up!
- 1 fresh red chilli or ½ tsp dried chilli
- 1 quantity chocolate ganache see recipe below, at liquid consistency
- 500 ml milk or nut milk such as almond or macadamia
- 1 cinnamon
- 2-3 star anise
- ½ cup cream
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- grated chocolate and chilli flakes (optional), to serve
- dark chocolate roughly chopped 400 grams
- 250 ml cream
- Remove seeds from fresh chilli and slice into strips.
- Combine the ganache, milk, cinnamon stick, star anise and chilli strips in a medium saucepan and warm gently until near boiling.
- Strain into a serving jug.
- Pour hot chocolate into bowls.
- Whisk the cream and maple syrup together until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Top each filled glass with a dollop of cream and sprinkle with grated chocolate and a few flakes of chilli if desired.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl.
- Gently heat the cream on the stovetop until near boiling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute, then stir together until smooth, dark and glossy. Leave to cool.
- Once cool, refrigerate until it reaches desired consistency – firm for rolling into truffles, runny for dipping and icing.
Chocolate and chilli go together incredibly well, the fiery heat of the chilli effortlessly cutting through the rich creamy chocolate. This chilli hot chocolate recipe isn’t too spicy, but if you’re not such a fan of chilli you can just add a little and taste, adding more if you’re up to it. Do try it with the chilli though, it really does elevate the flavour of this drink to something very special! If you like having a creamy hot drink in the evening, you might also like this Spiced Turmeric Latte for something a bit different!