Chilli bean and mince dip with cheesy wrap chips
Next time you’ve got big or small mouths to feed, whip a batch of this chilli bean dip!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic finely sliced
- 500 g lean beef mince
- ½ red capsicum finely diced
- ½ yellow capsicum finely diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 400 g can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
Cheesy wrap chips
- 6 red capsicum wraps
- cooking spray
- 1 cup cheese grated
- avocado diced to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or frying pan and sauté the onion, garlic and mince for 4-5 minutes over a medium heat until browned and broken up. Add the capsicum, oregano, paprika and chilli and mix well.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, beans and water and simmer for 15-20 minutes until reduced. Add the barbecue sauce and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- For the wrap chips, preheat the oven to 180°C and line two trays with baking paper. Place wraps on trays, lightly coat with cooking spray, sprinkle over cheese and bake for 4-5 minutes or until golden and toasted. Remove from the oven and cut into wedges while hot.
- Serve chilli mince, sprinkled with avocado if desired, with cheesy wrap chips on the side for dipping.
Rich and smokey, this dip goes down a treat with the whole family. If spice is a bit of a no-go zone, simply adjust the measure of chilli flakes to suit. I love the idea of serving these with cheesy wrap chips. All you need to do is take a packet of lunch wraps, sprinkle on some cheese and ta-da – cheesy, golden ‘chips’! Enjoy this dip along with these Loaded Wedges for your next family movie night, sleepover or games evening, or make it a full on fiesta with my Creamy Sweetcorn and Jalapeno Dip. This recipe is from the August/September issue of NADIA Magazine. Photography by: Todd Eyre.