Cherry and coconut granola
Making your own golden, crunchy granola is easier than you think, and it saves your dollars and your waistline.
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups jumbo rolled oats
- ¼ cup coconut thread
- ½ cup dried cherries berries, cranberries (or other dried fruit), chopped
- ¼ cup milk or yoghurt per serving use non-dairy milk and coconut yoghurt for dairy free
- ½ cup fresh or canned fruit per serving
- Preheat oven to 150degC. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Melt honey, butter/coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon together in a medium-size pot. Stir in oats, ensuring they are well coated.
- Spread oats out on prepared oven tray. Bake for 15 minutes, then add coconut and dried fruit and bake for a further 3-5 minutes until coconut is just very lightly toasted.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
This recipe is taken from my book Fresh Start. You can make this granola is dairy-free if you use coconut oil for roasting and serve with dairy-free milk and coconut yoghurt. It will keep, stored in an airtight container, for a couple of months – though it’s so yummy it probably won’t last that long! You can substitute the dried cherries for any other dried fruit, e.g. apricots, if you like. Make sure you use jumbo rolled oats as they have the best size and texture for this recipe. For more information on other types of oats, check out this blog post.