Basil butter is a delicious yet simple topping that can be prepared in advance and kept in the fridge or freezer until required. Enjoy the instant flavour hit on seared fish, meat, portabello mushrooms and more.
- 1 cup basil packed leaves roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chives chopped (or finely sliced spring onion)
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 lemon finely grated zest
- 500 g butter at room temperature
- Cut out four squares of waxed paper. Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well mixed.
- Divide butter mixture into four even pieces and place one on each square of paper. Fold paper over top and shape butter into a neat log. Roll up and twist ends together. Keep in the fridge until needed.
- To use, cut a log into 10 slices and add a slice to a hot piece of steak or fish. The butter will keep for weeks in the fridge or up to two months in the freezer.
You can flavour butter with all sorts of things, but this herby basil butter is my favourite. It really is worth using a good quality butter for this recipe. You don’t use much of it but it adds sooo much flavour. A slice of this butter looks so nice sitting atop a perfectly cooked steak. Let it melt and enjoy a bit with every mouthful – YUM!