Asparagus, kumara, walnut and parmesan salad
This delicious asparagus salad is the perfect Spring dish! It’s a great one to take to a potluck BBQ.
- 400-500 g kumara skin on, cut into 3cm chunks
- olive oil a drizzle
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 250 g asparagus or green beans, trimmed
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley chopped
- lightly toasted walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan shaved
Honey mustard dressing
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reserved red wine vinegar from the pickled onion
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Toss kumara with a good drizzle of olive oil on prepared tray, season with salt and pepper, and roast for about 25 minutes or until golden and tender.
- In a bowl, mix red wine vinegar and sugar together and add red onion. Leave to marinate for about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving vinegar for the dressing.
- Place asparagus in a pot or heatproof dish or bowl, and pour over boiling water to cover. Leave to stand for 5–10 minutes until asparagus is lightly cooked through (but still crunchy). Drain and place in a bowl of iced water to quickly cool (this helps it retain its bright green colour) then drain again.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together.
- Toss roast kumara, asparagus, parsley, walnuts, and half the dressing, half the pickled red onion and half the parmesan together. Scatter over remaining pickled red onion and parmesan, and drizzle with remaining dressing.
- If asparagus isn’t in season you could use green beans instead.
Pickled red onion in red wine vinegar is one of my favourite salad additions, especially with the crunchy walnuts and sharp Parmesan in this dish. If asparagus isn’t in season you can use green beans instead. This salad would also be great to take to work in a container – just bring the dressing separately and toss together when it’s time to eat! This recipe comes from my new book Let’s eat! – it’s got a whole section of salads like this one!