Roasted vegetable salad with coconut, lime and chilli dressing
Talk about the perfect side dish! This roasted vege salad ticks all my boxes. It’s healthy, delicious and makes eating gluten and dairy-free oh so easy.
- 1 medium kumara scrubbed and diced
- ¼ pumpkin skin removed, diced
- 1 parsnip peeled and diced
- 1 bunch baby carrots scrubbed and trimmed, larger ones halved lengthwise
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh herbs of your choice we used thyme; rosemary and sage would work well, too
- ½ cup coconut yoghurt
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 6-8 mint leaves finely shredded, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large tray with baking paper. Toss all the vegetables with the oil, sea salt and fresh herbs and roast for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- In a small jug, combine the yoghurt and lime juice and mix well. Add the chilli, shredded mint and honey, season with a pinch of sea salt, and stir again.
- Arrange the roasted vegetables on a serving platter, drizzle over the dressing and garnish with fresh mint leaves.
The secret ingredient that makes this recipe pop is coconut yoghurt. It’s the perfect base for the creamy, zingy, spicy dressing. You should be able to find coconut yoghurt at the supermarket, but if you can’t, you can always swap for unsweetened natural Greek yoghurt (if you’re not allergic to dairy). In this recipe, kumara, pumpkin, parsnip and carrots take centre stage, but you could really use whatever root vegetables you have on hand. That’s one of the things I love about this recipe. It really is so easy to make or adapt to suit the contents of your pantry. Try serving with my Orange, Honey and Tamarind-Glazed Leg of Lamb or as part of a vegetarian spread with my Spiced Cauliflower with Sticky Glazed Tofu. This recipe is from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine. Photography by: Vanessa Lewis.