Kids (and adults) will go crazy for these delish little bars! They’re so easy to put together and the best part is, you don’t even need an oven.
These scrumptious snacks are perfect for whipping up with the kids. Give them a go during school holidays, rainy weekends or whenever you feel like causing a little chaos in the kitchen.
You can use more natural ingredients (like cacao powder and rice malt syrup) if you like, or just use what’s on hand.
I love the idea of eating these on stinking hot summer days. The cool yoghurt would be just heavenly!
This recipe is from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine.
Photography by: Todd Eyre.
- roasted almonds ¾ cup
- desiccated coconut ½ cup
- fresh dates 6
- cacao powder 1 tablespoon (or use cocoa)
- ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon
- rice malt syrup 1 tablespoon (or use golden syrup)
- berry-flavoured yoghurt 1 kilogram
- freeze-dried berries ¼ cup, for decoration
- Whizz almonds in the food processor until finely chopped, then add the coconut, dates, cacao and cinnamon and blend well. Add the rice malt syrup and pulse until sticky and well mixed.
- Press the mixture into a lined 23cm cake tin or similar and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Chill for 15 minutes in fridge. Evenly pour over the yoghurt and sprinkle the dried berries on top. Freeze for at least 4 hours or until solid. Cut into bars or squares and serve semi-thawed.