Hot chipotle bean dip
Turn up the heat with one of my favourite condiments – chipotle.
Chipotle – a fiery red, yet only mildly spicy sauce is made from smoke-dried jalapeno peppers and gives dishes a delicious, earthy flavour. The brand Culley’s is my favourite – all their chilli sauces are amazing. If you love this distinct flavour, you’ll also love these Pulled Beef Chipotle Tacos with Apple Slaw, Guacamole and Salsa – great for feeding a crowd for Mexican night!
You can prepare this dip well in advance then just pop under the grill before serving. It’s great with corn chips or vegetable crudites like carrot, celery, capsicum and radish.
If you’re concerned about spice levels or are serving this to kids, add half the amount of sauce and taste. You can then add more if you want.
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- red onion 1, finely diced
- garlic 1 clove, finely diced
- black beans 400g can, drained
- chipotle sauce* ¼ cup
- water ¼ cup
- vine tomato 1 large, finely diced
- smoky cheddar cheese ½ cup, grated
- red chilli 1, finely diced
- coriander 2-3 sprigs
- corn chips and vegetable crudités to serve
- Heat oil in a medium frying pan and sauté onion and garlic over a low heat until soft and fragrant. Add black beans, chipotle sauce, water and tomato and simmer for 5-8 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Stir in half the cheese. Spoon mixture into an oven-proof ramekin or serving pot and top with remaining cheese. Grill for 4-5 minutes or bake in an oven (180°C) for 10-12 minutes until mixture is bubbling and cheese is melted and golden. Garnish with diced chilli and coriander and serve hot with corn chips and raw veges.
* Check label if eating gluten free.