These tasty skewers are great for entertaining friends – serve them piled up on a board with a scattering of coriander and a moreish creamy chipotle dipping sauce.
The haloumi skewers can also be done with raw shelled prawns instead of chorizo if you’d prefer, or even do a mix of both chorizo and prawn on each. You can get everything ready to go well ahead of time so that the only thing left to do when guests arrive is get the grill going. If I’m having friends around for drinks, I’ll serve these alongside profiteroles with raspberries, cream and chocolate for a real treat.
- dry-cured chorizo 200g
- haloumi 200g
- cherry tomatoes 1 punnet
- bamboo wooden skewers
- chopped coriander
- creamy chipotle dipping sauce* (see recipe in method)
- coriander dipping sauce** (see recipe in method)
- Slice chorizo into 1cm-thick rounds. Cut haloumi into 1.5cm cubes and pat dry with paper towels.
- Thread a piece of chorizo, then haloumi, then a cherry tomato onto each skewer, going right through the middle of each ingredient so that they all sit flush with each other (this will ensure they make surface contact with the BBQ/grill pan during cooking).
- Brush skewers with oil if cooking on the BBQ, or heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan or grill pan. Cook skewers for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the chorizo is starting to render out a bit of fat, the haloumi is golden, and cherry tomatoes are starting to blister.
Pile on a plate and garnish with chopped coriander, and serve with a small bowl of creamy chipotle dipping sauce on the side.
*Creamy chipotle dipping sauce: mix 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt and 2 teaspoons chipotle sauce.
**Coriander dipping sauce: blitz 1/2 cup chopped coriander, 1/2 cup mint leaves, 1 clove chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger, 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 2-3 tablespoons lime or lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tip: You can use a fish slice to gently press down on the skewers while they are cooking to make sure everything is making surface contact with the BBQ/pan.