Prawn and courgette stir-fry with pad thai-style noodles
Pad thai’s famous rice stick noodles are the star of this speedy stir-fry recipe that gets you clocked in and out of the kitchen in 25 minutes. How about that?!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil warmed until it’s liquid
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- 1 red chilli seeds removed, sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- ¾ cup roasted peanuts chopped, plus extra to serve
- 500 g raw prawn cutlets
- 200-300 g rice stick noodles
- 1 cup edamame beans shelled
- 2 courgettes halved lengthwise and sliced on an angle
- spinach leaves handful
- black sesame seeds to serve
- In a food processor or blender combine the coconut oil, garlic, chilli, onion and roasted peanuts and blend until finely chopped and moist.
- Heat a large frying pan or wok and sauté this peanut paste on medium heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then add the prawns and toss until pink and cooked through.
- Meanwhile simmer noodles in boiling water until just tender (about 5 minutes). Add edamame beans and courgette and blanch for 1-2 minutes until bright green.
- Drain noodles and vegetables; separate out the noodles and place in bowls. Toss vegetables with spinach, prawns and peanut sauce and add to bowls. Garnish with chopped peanuts and sesame seeds.
Fresh, fast and finger lickin’ good is how I would describe this stir-fry. It pairs juicy prawns with a garlicky, peanutty sauce then serves them alongside soft noodles and bright greens. It’s so easy and tasty, and also ticks both gluten and dairy-free boxes. This recipe uses courgette and edamame for greenery, but you could get creative as you like. Use up what’s in the fridge – broccoli and green beans also work beautifully. Enjoy it just as it is or serve with a side of my Crunchy Asian Slaw. It doesn’t get healthier than that! This recipe is from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine. Photography by: Vanessa Lewis.