One-pan Turkish Eggs with Hummus and Feta
These delicious Turkish eggs are cooked in the sauce, infusing the eggs with smoky tomato flavours and saving you on dishes!
Smoky tomato sauce and eggs
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- – 1 teaspoon chilli flakes optional
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 g crushed tomatoes can
- ¼ cup water
- 4 free-range eggs
- 50 g feta crumbled (omit for dairy-free)
- ¾ cup hummus
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 4 pieces small flat bread or pita bread gluten-free if required
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley or coriander/cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, chilli flakes (if using), crushed tomatoes and water. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Carefully crack eggs into the simmering sauce to cook. Cover fry pan with a lid and steam for 2 minutes until whites are just set but yolks are still runny (or cook for a little longer if you prefer a firmer yolk).
- To serve, spoon some smoky tomato sauce and an egg onto each plate and top with crumbled feta. Serve with hummus, slices of tomato and flat bread on the side. Garnish with coriander or parsley.
This makes a delicious healthy weekend brunch or breakfast, and a twist on the standard eggs on toast. To increase your healthy fats, top this dish with sliced avocado. For an authentic Turkish eggs, serve with a big dollop of hummus, slices of fresh tomato, a sprinkle of feta and coriander or parsley, and plenty of flat bread or pita to scoop it all up with – yum. Be sure to cook this in a nice cast iron pan if you have one – it looks so good put in the middle of the table for everyone to serve themselves from!