Mini lavender shortbread
The kids will enjoy making these easy lavender shortbread biscuits as much as they will munching them!
- 250 g butter at room temperature
- 120 g icing sugar
- 250 g flour
- 120 g cornflour
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lavender petals and corollas tiny flowers covering flower head
- apricot or berry jam optional
- Preheat the oven to 160⁰C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until very soft.
- Sift flour and cornflour together then add to the creamed butter and sugar and stir in with a wooden spoon.
- Add lemon juice and stir until a dough forms. Add the lavender petals and shape dough into a large square.
- On a floured surface, roll out to about 5mm thick, cut into shapes and place on a lined baking tray. If desired, make a thumb-sized dent in some of the biscuits and fill with jam.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until biscuits spring back when touched. The bases will be lightly golden.
- Sprinkle a little raw or demerara sugar on top before you do the final rolling out. The grains will stick and add extra crunch.
Littlies can help by cutting the dough into shapes or pressing a dent in the centres to fill with jam. Hopefully you have a lavender bush in your garden, otherwise you may have to go searching around your neighbourhood! These are a simple, not-too-sweet accompaniment to an afternoon cuppa.