Mexican Bean Dip
Mmmmmm this vegan bean dip is so tasty with corn chips – I love it for an afternoon snack or when entertaining friends!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 800 g beans 2x 400g cans, e.g. Pinto beans, kidney beans, butter beans, cannellini beans, borlotti beans, 4 bean mix etc, washed and drained
- 3-4 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 2 limes or 1 lemon, juiced
- natural unsweetened Greek yoghurt optional
- coriander cilantro, chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped (optional)
- corn chips ensure GF if required
- Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic and cumin until onion is soft (about 4-5 minutes).
- Tip onion mixture into a food processor with chilli if using, beans, chipotle sauce and lime/lemon juice. Blitz until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and more lime juice if needed.
- To serve, warm dip up in the microwave or stove top, top with a good dollop of yoghurt or sour cream and garnish with coriander and green chilli if using. Serve dip warm with corn chips.
This bean dip is perfect with a cold beer I reckon! The level of heat in chipotle sauce can vary between brands, so add a little, have a taste and add more if needed. You could also use this recipe to make very tasty vegan nachos – maybe just don’t blitz up the beans too much to keep some of the texture. Serve this as part of a Mexican themed night with these pineapple mojitos, Mexican fiesta tacos with pulled pork and Mexican street corn!