Kumara, bacon, walnut and orange salad
I love this combination – salty crispy bacon, sweet kumara, earthy walnuts, and zesty orange.
- 1 medium red kumara cut into 2-3cm chunks (leave the skin on)
- 1-2 teaspoons runny honey
- 3-4 rashers streaky bacon diced
- 2 good handfuls rocket leaves
- 1 orange skin removed, sliced
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid honey
- lemon juice of ½
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200degC.
- Toss kumara with honey and a good drizzle of olive oil in a roasting tray lined with baking paper. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for 25-30 minutes or until tender and slightly caramelised.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry pan, and fry bacon in a hot pan till crispy.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, toss roast kumara with rocket, orange, crispy bacon and walnuts with dressing and divide between plates.
As well as an easy healthy dinner, this is a great meal to take to work for lunch – you could make a few portions and stretch it over a few days – its so tasty I doubt you would get sick of it! Just keep the dressing in a jar and add it at lunch time to keep everything nice and fresh. I always like to make extra when I roast veges like kumara and pumpkin for salads like this – so easy and tasty.