Flaked Salmon Salad with Baked Rice
This tasty flaked salmon salad is great for those that might not love salmon, like kids. It was one of the highest rated recipes for the whole month of March across all the My Food Bags!This flaked salmon salad recipe featured in our Classic Bag and was a huge hit. Baking rice is a clever way to get lots of flavour in easily, and it looks beautiful and bright with the addition of turmeric. The beauty of this recipe is that you only use the oven and not the stove top, making it super easy!This recipe can easily be made gluten-free by using gluten-free bread for the croutons, or omitting.
- 1½ cups jasmine rice
- 2¼ cups boiling water
- 1 carrot grated
- ¼ red onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ lemon zested
Flaked salmon salad
- 600 g salmon fillet
- 1 ciabatta roll diced, 2cm
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup semi-dried tomatoes roughly chopped
- ½ bag mesclun
- 2 teaspoons vinegar (e.g. red wine, white wine, balsamic)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ lemon juiced
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Combine all baked rice ingredients in deep, oven-proof dish. Mix well and cover dish with foil, making sure to seal the edges well. Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside.
- While rice is cooking, pat salmon dry and remove any remaining scales or pin bones. Season salmon and place, skin-side-up, to one side of prepared tray. Add diced bread to other side of tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Bake (on rack above rice) for about 12 minutes, until salmon is cooked through.
- While rice and salmon are baking, add remaining red onion and semi-fried tomato to a large bowl and set aside.
- When salmon has finished cooking, set aside to rest for at least 5 minutes. Carefully peel skin off salmon then break into large chunks using a fork. Add to bowl with onion and tomatoes. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and lemon juice and set aside.
- Fluff up rice with a fork. Add mesclun, baked ciabatta and vinegar to bowl with salmon and gently toss to combine. Season to taste.
- To serve: spoon baked rice onto plates and top with flaked salmon salad. Drizzle with lemon mayonnaise.