Fish tacos with fresh pineapple salsa
Fish tacos are a great weeknight family meal. These ones have a very tasty fresh pineapple salsa that I highly recommend!
- 600 g skinless white fish fillets
- ¼ cup flour seasoned with ½ tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper can omit for children
- 2 teaspoons oil
- butter knob
- 10-12 small tortilla wraps
- 1 small lettuce shredded
- ½ punnet cherry tomatoes quartered or halved
- ½ cup coriander leaves and stalks roughly chopped
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- ¼ cup sour cream optional
- fresh pineapple salsa see recipe, below ¾-1 cup
Fresh pineapple salsa
- ½ pineapple fresh, peeled, cored and finely diced
- ½ cup mint leaves finely chopped
- ½ red chilli seeds and membrane discarded, very finely chopped
- ½ small red onion finely diced
- 2 limes juiced
- Pat fish dry with paper towels, remove any remaining scales or bones and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place seasoned flour and spices in a shallow bowl, dip in fish and coat well, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and, once frothy, cook the fish in batches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cooked through and golden. Add a little extra oil to pan between batches if needed.
- Place the tortillas, fish, various fillings and a dish of salsa on the table and let everyone help themselves.
Fresh pineapple salsa
- In a bowl combine fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and finely diced, cup mint leaves, finely chopped, red chilli, seeds and membrane discarded, very finely chopped, small red onion, finely diced, and juice limes.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes to allow flavours to infuse. Best eaten within a few hours.
- This salsa makes a zingy accompaniment to chicken salad, grilled fish or other Mexican-style dishes.
Pineapple and chilli is a fantastic combination with these fish tacos. The zingy flavours are offset by the avocado and sour cream to create perfect balance. To make these tacos gluten free, use gluten free flour and corn gluten-free tortillas. To make dairy free, omit butter and use coconut yoghurt instead of sour cream (or omit). For more family friendly taco recipes, check out my Mexican Fiesta Tacos and Pulled Beef Chipotle Tacos. This recipe comes from the October/November issue of NADIA magazine.