Feijoa and nut mini loaves
These tasty little mini loaves are the perfect Autumn afternoon treat alongside a hot mug of tea.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup bran flakes
- ½ cup chopped nuts pistachios, almonds, macadamias, walnuts, pecans etc ½ cup, plus 1 tablespoon extra for decoration
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ cup rice bran oil
- 1 egg
- 6 feijoas peeled and diced
- 1 egg white (small)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-4 cubes crystal ginger sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and lightly grease 12 mini loaf tins.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, spices, bran flakes and nuts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the milk, baking soda, oil and egg.
- Fold the milk mixture and feijoas into the dry ingredients until just mixed. Spoon into the loaf tins (until about three-quarters full) and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden.
- To make the icing, whisk the egg white until foamy and opaque, then whisk in the icing sugar and enough lemon juice to make a drizzling consistency. When the loaves have cooled, drizzle with lemon icing and decorate with ginger slices and chopped nuts.
The lightly spiced feijoa flavour in these mini loaves is delicious, especially with a good amount of nuts for crunch. Drizzle the lemon icing over top and decorate with sliced crystal ginger and extra chopped nuts to make them look irresistible. I love adding bran flakes to baking for extra fibre and nutrition. You can find them in the baking section of the supermarket. Use a muffin tin for this recipe if you don’t have a mini loaf tin. If you like this recipe, you’ll love my Feijoa, White Chocolate and Ginger Muffins! Recipe by: Jo Wilcox. Photography by: Todd Eyre.