Easy chicken, cherry tomato and feta tarts
These golden little tarts take out my top marks for easy, delicious, family-friendly bites!
- 2 sheets flaky puff pastry ready-rolled
- 100 g feta
- 150 g cream cheese
- 2 cups deli roast chicken sliced or shredded
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes halved or sliced
- 1 punnet coloured olives pitted, sliced
- 1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp milk, for egg wash
- extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two trays with baking paper.
- Cut each pastry sheet into four squares. Mark a 1cm border around the inside of each square with a knife (just mark the pastry – you don’t need to cut all the way through). Arrange squares on lined trays and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Whizz or mash feta and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Place a spoonful of feta mixture in centre of each tart and roughly spread out to fill the inner square. Top with chicken and spinach leaves, then dot with tomato halves and olive slices. Brush edges with egg wash and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden and puffed up.
- Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and grind over some cracked black pepper to serve.
They’re perfect for using up last night’s leftover roast chicken and also manage to sneak in a dose of veggies. The sweet cherry tomatoes contrast wonderfully with the salty olives and creamy feta. I love the idea of packing these up for a snack at the beach or park. You could even try serving these on big wooden chopping board as part of a rustic spread. For a picnic-inspired meal the kids will love, serve these little tarts with Pesto Pasta, Finger Lickin’ Chicken Drumsticks and my Healthier Caramel Chocolate slice. This recipe is from the August/September issue of NADIA magazine. Photography by: Todd Eyre.