Crunchy Asian slaw
Fresh, crunchy and bursting with flavour, I love a good slaw with a refreshing Asian inspired dressing.
- ¼ purple or green cabbage
- 1 green apple
- 1 carrot
- ⅓ cup roasted peanuts or cashew nuts roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup mint and coriander chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil 2 teaspoons
- 2½ tablespoons soy sauce or fish sauce
- ¼ cup lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Finely shred cabbage until you have about 3-4 cups’ worth. Thinly slice apple and then cut into thin matchsticks. Peel carrot, then shred or coarsely grate, or cut into thin matchsticks.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and toss with the shredded cabbage, apple, carrot, nuts, toasted sesame seeds and chilli (if using), just before serving.
The peanuts and sesame seeds add texture and nuttiness, and the chilli adds a little bit of heat (of course it’s up to you how much you want!). I’ve also added some refreshing, crunchy green apple for that delicious sweet and sour tang. It’s the perfect side to a piece of grilled chicken, fish, steak, or tofu with an Asian marinade such as this one. This is a great salad to make a big batch of in advance and leave in the fridge to take for lunch each day – just add the dressing when you’re ready to eat!