Courgette, bacon and cheddar slice
This courgette, bacon and cheddar slice is a kid-friendly family favourite. It’s great to pop in lunchboxes or take to the beach in a chiller bag.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 4 rashers rindless smoky middle bacon diced
- 5 cups courgette grated (about 4 medium ones)
- ½ cup vintage cheddar grated
- ¾ cup self-raising flour use gluten-free if required
- sea salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup rice bran oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line base of a 26cm x 18cm slice tin or similar.
- Heat oil and sauté onion, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured and fragrant.
- Place courgette in tea towel and squeeze out excess juice, tip into large bowl and combine with cheese. Sift in flour, a pinch each of salt and pepper and toss lightly.
- Whisk eggs and oil until combined. Add to courgette along with bacon mixture and mix. Spoon into tin and smooth the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until puffed, golden and set in the centre. Serve warm or cold with a chunky tomato relish.
The hidden veggies in this courgette, bacon and cheddar slice make it perfect for kids, and they’ll love the cheesy bacon flavour too. It tastes great hot or cold, especially with a nice tomato relish. If you’re packing this into containers and popping in the fridge, make sure the slice is fully cooled down before hand. Putting it into containers and sealing while still warm can cause condensation which makes the slice soggy! No one wants soggy slice.