Coconut, banana and cacao smoothie bowl
A smoothie bowl is a fun change to your normal breaky. This one is richly flavoured with coconut, banana and cacao – delicious and nutritious!
- 2 frozen bananas
- 4 ice cubes
- ½ cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 pitted medjool date
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder or nibs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- We’ve used banana chips dried apricots, pumpkin seeds and chia seeds
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth and thick.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and top with your choice of nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
- Coconut yoghurt is an amazing alternative for people with dairy allergies. Many varieties contain live and active cultures, making this vegan-friendly food great for your gut health.
- Co-yo (as it is affectionately known) is also packed with key vitamins and minerals such as calcium for strong bones, magnesium for muscle function, vitamin B12 for red blood cell production and vitamin D for calcium absorption. Co-yo (as it is affectionately known) is also packed with key vitamins and minerals such as calcium for strong bones, magnesium for muscle function, vitamin B12 for red blood cell production and vitamin D for calcium absorption.
- It’s best to consume coconut yoghurt within 10 days of opening.
Kids will love this recipe, and you could even get away with serving it to them for dessert. This smoothie bowl really does work best with frozen banana,otherwise it won’t go as thick and creamy. The best way to freeze banana is to arrange 2cm chunks on a baking tray and freeze, then once frozen transfer to zip lock bags or a plastic container. This way they won’t all stick together. If you don’t want to make this dairy free, use Greek yoghurt and normal milk for a good protein hit. This recipe comes from NADIA magazine.