Chilli Con Carne
This easy Chilli Con Carne recipe will have you cooking authentic Mexican in no time!
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- pinch of salt
Chilli Con Carne
- 600 g beef mince
- 1 brown onion finely diced
- chilli spice mix see below
- chilli flakes or chilli powder a pinch optional
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 400 g can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 carrot grated
- 1 cup beef stock gluten-free if required
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ iceberg lettuce
- Preheat oven grill to 200°C/high. Set aside a large casserole/baking dish (if you do not have an oven proof frying pan).
- Combine all rice ingredients in a medium-sized lidded pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 12 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid during cooking or steaming. When rice has finished steaming, fluff up grains with a fork.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan (preferably oven-proof) on a high heat.Cook beef mince and onion, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon as it cooks, for 7-8 minute, until browned. Add chilli spice mix (see recipe below) and chilli flakes/powder (if using) and cook for a further 1 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add corn, beans, tomato paste, canned tomatoes, carrot and stock to pan. Bring to a summer then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 9-12 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- While sauce is simmering, prepare the rest of the meal. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and tomato sauce and set aside. Thinly slice lettuce and place in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle cheese over mince and place whole pan under grill for about 6 minutes, until cheese is bubbling and golden. If you don’t have an oven-proof frying pan, transfer mixture to an oven-proof dish before adding the cheese.
- To serve, place Chilli Con Carne, rice, tomato sour cream and lettuce in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves.
Chilli spice mix
- Mix together 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, 2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 teaspoon ground coriander
This delicious Chilli Con Carne recipe is from the brand new Bargain Box cookbook, Family Favourites. Packed with easy, tasty and affordable meals, Family Favourites will be a well loved cookbook I’m sure. I think it’s the perfect book for flatters too, or anyone interested in food who wants to learn the basics. The Chilli builds flavour after a day or two, so it’s the perfect dish to make in advance. You can turn this into beef nachos by serving the mince mixture over corn chips rather than rice. This recipe also freezes really well!