Chicken, Lentil and Feta Salad with Tzatziki Dressing
This is a simple tasty chicken salad with healthy lentils and a tzatziki dressing flavoured with fresh herbs – delicious!
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6-8 chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cup white wine or chicken stock
- 400 g brown or puy lentils one can, rinsed and drained
- 4 tomatoes diced
- ½ telegraph cucumber diced
- 4 handfuls baby spinach
- 100 g feta crumbled
- ½ cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- ¼ cup dill finely chopped
- ½ cup mint finely chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1-2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic and olive oil together and combine with chicken thighs. If you have the time, leave them to marinate for an hour or up to overnight.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry pan or pre-heat BBQ on medium to high heat. Season marinated chicken with salt and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes, keeping pan on the heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft and starting to caramelise, 3-4 minutes – add a little wine or chicken stock during cooking to lift the chicken pan brownings and stop them from burning on the bottom of the pan. Add lentils and toss to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine all tzatziki dressing ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, slice chicken and toss with onion, lentils, tomatoes, cucumber, baby spinach and feta. Divide between plates and dress with tzatziki dressing.
Tzatziki is one of my favourite things to pair with chicken. You’re much better off making it yourself as well rather than buying it – it’s very easy! See below for a recipe.