Asparagus, Pumpkin and Feta Pizza with Rocket Pesto
This pizza uses mashed pumpkin on the base instead of tomato sauce. It is really yummy and makes a great vegetarian meal!
- 500 g pumpkin peeled, chopped
- 2 large Turkish or Lebanese flat bread pizza base or pita bread
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1½ bunches asparagus trimmed
- 150 g soft goat or cow feta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated or shredded
- ½ cup rocket and mint pesto, store-bought or home-made* see recipe below
- Preheat oven to 200degC.
- Cook pumpkin in boiling salted water until soft, 10-15 minutes. Drain well and mash with a good drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil or knob of butter, a splash of milk, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread mashed pumpkin over pizza bases, dividing equally. Scatter over sundried tomatoes (if using), arrange asparagus spears on top, crumble over feta and sprinkle over mozzarella. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until bases are crisp and mozzarella is melted.
- Dollop rocket and mint pesto over pizzas, cut into portions and serve.
Rocket, mint and caper pesto
- Blend 100g baby or wild rocket, 1 heaped tablespoon capers, 1 cup mint leaves (or other herbs e.g. basil or parsley), 1 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (or other vinegar e.g. white wine), juice of ½ lemon and ¼ cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil together in a food processor until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- *Tip: if you don’t want to make your own pesto, a good quality store-bought herb pesto will work just as well.
You can use a good quality store-bought rocket pesto to fast-track this recipe, or make up your own with whatever herbs you have handy. Asparagus is such a treat when it’s in season, and tastes great with the pumpkin, pesto and cheese. If you’d like to make the pizza bases yourself, check out my recipe here.