Mexican Bean Dip
Mmmmmm this vegan bean dip is so tasty with corn chips – I love it for an afternoon snack or when entertaining friends!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 800 g beans 2x 400g cans, e.g. Pinto beans, kidney beans, butter beans, cannellini beans, borlotti beans, 4 bean mix etc, washed and drained
- 3-4 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 2 limes or 1 lemon, juiced
- natural unsweetened Greek yoghurt optional
- coriander cilantro, chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped (optional)
- corn chips ensure GF if required
Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat. Sauté onion, garlic and cumin until onion is soft (about 4-5 minutes).
Tip onion mixture into a food processor with chilli if using, beans, chipotle sauce and lime/lemon juice. Blitz until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and more lime juice if needed.
To serve, warm dip up in the microwave or stove top, top with a good dollop of yoghurt or sour cream and garnish with coriander and green chilli if using. Serve dip warm with corn chips.
This bean dip is perfect with a cold beer I reckon! The level of heat in chipotle sauce can vary between brands, so add a little, have a taste and add more if needed. You could also use this recipe to make very tasty vegan nachos – maybe just don’t blitz up the beans too much to keep some of the texture.
Serve this as part of a Mexican themed night with these pineapple mojitos, Mexican fiesta tacos with pulled pork and Mexican street corn!