Gourmet Baked Beans
Baked beans don’t have to be full of sugar and salt. Make this gourmet version yourself, which beats the canned commercial variety hands down in flavour and nutrition.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried herbs
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato chutney or tomato sauce
- 400 g can cannelini or butter beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g cankidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- wholegrain toast
- poached or scrambled eggs
- shaved or grated parmesan cheese
- chopped flat-leaf parsley
Heat oil in a large fry pan on medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft, 3-5 minutes.
Add cumin, paprika, dried herbs, tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until sauce has thickened.
Serve with eggs, a little parmesan and fresh parsley sprinkled over the top for a healthy breakfast or brunch.
These baked beans make a hearty, sustaining breakfast or brunch when served with some eggs and a grating of Parmesan. Smoked paprika is one of my favourite spices for adding a smokey, complex heat to tomato-based dishes – use a good quality one such as the La Chinata brand.
Don’t feel like you have to use cannelini beans or kidney beans for this recipe either – any kind of bean will work, or even lentils.