Beef and beet stir-fry with greens
Beef and beet comes to life in this tasty stir fry with the help of salty, intensely flavoursome black bean and garlic sauce.
- 250 g baby beetroots trimmed, leaves reserved
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 clove garlic finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely sliced
- 400-500 g lean beef e.g. rump steak, fat removed, sliced
- ½ cup black bean and garlic sauce check label if eating gluten-free
- 200 g broccolini cut into even-sized florets
- 150 g green beans cut into bite-sized pieces
- steamed basmati rice
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 lime quartered
Halve the baby beetroots (or quarter if they are large) and simmer in water until tender (about 15 minutes). Reserve ¾ cup cooking liquid, then drain beets and set aside until ready to stir-fry.
Heat 1 Tbsp of the sesame oil in a wok or large pan on medium heat and sauté the red onion, garlic and ginger for 3-4 minutes until softened and fragrant. Remove from the wok and set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in the wok on medium high heat and sear beef for 3-4 minutes until browned and tender. Add onion mixture along with beets, reserved cooking liquid, beet leaves and black bean sauce. Stir to combine.
Lay the broccolini and beans on top and cover to steam for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are bright green. Gently toss together and serve over rice.
Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and a squeeze of fresh lime.
If eating gluten-free, check the label on the black bean and garlic sauce.
This recipe comes from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine.