Chorizo, butter bean and tomato soup
This chorizo, butter bean and tomato soup is incredibly easy, quick and good for you!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g good-quality chorizo sausage* cut into 1cm dice
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 400g cans cherry tomatoes
- 400 g can butter beans rinsed and drained
- 400 g can chickpeas rinsed and drained (or butter beans, cannellini beans or lentils)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock*
- baby spinach or roughly chopped spinach A few handfuls
- 4 tablespoons sour cream to serve (omit for dairy free or use coconut yoghurt)
Heat olive oil in a large pot on a medium heat. Add chorizo. Cook for a couple of minutes until crispy and coloured. Remove from pan and set aside. Do not clean out the pan – the flavours from the oil will add to the soup.
Add the onion to the same pan and cook until soft and slightly coloured (about 4-5 minutes). Return chorizo to pan and add cherry tomatoes, butter beans, chickpeas and stock and bring to the boil. Partially cover with lid, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Just prior to serving, stir through baby spinach. Divide soup between four bowls and dollop with sour cream (if using). Serve with toasted bread or flatbread smeared in garlic herb butter.
*Check label if eating gluten free
This soup is the perfect throw-together dinner when it’s chilly and you want something to warm up your insides. Good quality chorizo is key, but you could leave it out for a vegetarian version.
Be sure to serve this soup with a delicious bread or flatbread smeared in some garlic and herb butter.