This simple, nourishing chicken soup is total soul food – it’s perfect to make and eat when you are in need of a little TLC.
I simmer a whole chicken to make stock (SO much more flavoursome than any bought stock or concentrate), then add the chicken meat and the rest of the ingredients to create the most simple but delicious bowl of goodness.
This recipe is straight from my new book Let’s eat.
- chicken 1 whole (size 14 or 16)
- water 1.75 litres
- salt 1 teaspoon
- olive oil 2 tablespoons
- white part of leek 1, diced (or 1 onion, diced)
- carrots 2, peeled and diced
- butternut 2 cups, peeled and diced (or pumpkin)
- garlic 2 cloves, chopped
- ground turmeric 1 teaspoon
- fresh ginger 2.5cm piece, peeled and grated
- greens (e.g. baby spinach, spinach or silverbeet leaves) 120-150g, roughly chopped
- lemon juice of ½
- parsley finely chopped, ¼ cup
- salt and pepper