Sweetcorn tart with caramelised onion and caraway
This sweetcorn tart is lusciously rich, perfect for a picnic lunch with a fresh green salad.
This sweetcorn tart is incredible with in-season corn but works perfectly well with frozen corn too. The pastry is foolproof, but if you don’t want to make your own then a good quality premade short pastry would work well too.
Perfect hot or cold, this tart is perfect for lunch or a light vegetarian dinner.
Caraway seeds can be found in the spice section of your supermarket. Similar to fennel seeds, caraway seeds also have an earthy anise flavour. They go great with corn and rich dairy flavours like the cream and feta in this recipe.
- cooking spray or butter, for oiling tin
- wholemeal flour 1¾ cups
- chia seeds 1 tablespoon
- sea salt 1/2 teaspoon
- butter 120 grams, diced
- cold water 2-3 tablespoons
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- medium onions 3, halved and sliced
- caraway seeds 1 teaspoon
- smoked paprika ½ teaspoon
- cooked sweetcorn kernels 2 cups
- eggs 4
- cream 1 cup
- crumbly feta 50 gram
- sea salt
- summer greens, edible petals and toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
Preheat oven to 185°C. Lightly spray a 23cm fluted tart tin with oil or brush with butter.
- In a food processor combine the flour, chia and salt and pulse until well blended. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add enough cold water to get the mixture to come together and start to form a ball. Transfer to a lightly floured bench and roll into a log then chill in fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling. Heat the olive oil in a medium-large frying pan and sauté onion and caraway seeds for about 10 minutes or until golden and tender. Add paprika and corn, toss together then remove from heat.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and cream together, then stir in crumbled feta. Season with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Roll out chilled pastry fairly thinly, line tin and trim off excess. Spread corn mix over base and pour in egg mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until pastry is cooked and filling has set in the centre. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with a garnish of summer greens, edible petals and toasted seeds.