Smoked Salmon, Asparagus and Avocado Filo Baskets
These little baskets are packed full with fresh asparagus, spicy rocket, and creamy avocado, and topped with smoked salmon, crème fraiche, parsley and pine nuts. Wonderfully fresh and perfect for a simple spring lunch with a side salad!
- filo pastry 4 layers
- melted butter or olive oil 30g
- asparagus spears 1 bunch trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- firm ripe avocado 1, chopped
- baby rocket 2 handfuls
- cold smoked salmon 8-12 slivers
Creamy herb dressing
- crème fraiche 4 tablespoons
- lemon juice of ½
- flat leaf parsley ¼ finely chopped
Preheat oven to 180degC/360 Fahrenheit.
- Lay a sheet of filo pastry on the bench and brush with melted butter. Lay another filo sheet on top and repeat with remaining filo sheets, layering with melted butter in between sheets. Cut into four rectangles. Push filo rectangles into medium sized ramekins or large muffin pans to form a ‘basket’ shape. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Get a bowl of cold water with ice ready to blanch asparagus. Cook asparagus in boiling water for 1-2 minutes until bright green and just tender, then drain and plunge into iced water.
- To assemble, place a filo basket on each plate. Divide rocket leaves, avocado, asparagus and smoked salmon between baskets. Arrange slices of smoked salmon on top and sprinkle over pine nuts.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together and drizzle over top of baskets just before serving.