This is a must-try recipe featuring smoky crayfish served in salad cups – it’s a little messy and is best enjoyed around a BBQ with good company and a cold lager!
Smoky crayfish makes a delicious canapé for a party and are a great way to share a precious cray. You’ll find this recipe provides a wonderful flavour that doesn’t overpower the beautiful sweet crayfish itself. Chipotle sauce gives this recipe it’s great smoky, slightly spicy flavour. You can buy it from most supermarkets, or make it yourself – I’ve included a recipe for it below. This recipe is gluten and dairy free, so makes a great healthy summer entree.
- waxy baby potatoes 300g
- good quality mayonnaise ½ cup
- chipotle sauce* 2-3 tablespoons
- lemon or lime juice to taste
- coriander (cilantro) 2 tablespoons chopped
- tomatoes 2, chopped
- crayfish 1 cooked
- iceburg lettuce 1
- Cook baby potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. When cooled, quarter potatoes.
- Mix mayonnaise with chipotle sauce, lemon or lime juice, coriander (cilantro) and tomatoes.
- Remove and shred crayfish meat.
- Fold crayfish meat and potatoes through flavoured mayonnaise. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- Remove a few outer leaves of the iceberg lettuce and slice off the stem, then cut lettuce in half straight down the middle. Separate lettuce leaves into individual lettuce ‘cups’ (if a large cup, cut in half to make two smaller cups). Set 12-14 lettuce cups aside.
- To serve, place a spoonful of crayfish potato salad in each lettuce cup and serve on a big platter.
- *If you don’t have chipotle sauce, make your own – sauté 1 chopped onion and 1 clove minced garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until onion is soft. Add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 tin crushed tomatoes, 1 ½ tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar. Simmer over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until reduced to a chutney like consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.