Seeded Chicken with Citrus Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
This seeded chicken dish is from the My Food Bag Classic Bag and was one of the highest rated recipes in January across all My Food Bags!
If you don’t have all the seeds needed, just use the ones you have – it will still be great. This healthy seeded chicken dish is a great weeknight option that you can prepare quickly. With this recipe you get the crunch of crumbed chicken, but with the nutritional benefits of seeds.
For more great My Food Bag recipes, check out Dinnertime Goodness.
- chicken breast 300g, skinless, boneless
- seed mix see method
- salt ¼ teaspoon
- bulgur wheat ½ cup
- bulgur spices see method
- red onion ½, finely diced
- vinegar ½ teaspoon (e.g. red wine, white wine, cider)
- lemon zest and juice of ½
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- mustard ½ teaspoon
- carrot 1, grated
- radishes 2, thinly sliced
- mint 2-3 tablespoons, chopped
- feta 50g, crumbled
- mesclun ½ bag
- pomegranate dressing see method
Bring a full kettle to the boil. Bring a small pot of salted water to the boil. Preheat BBQ hotplate to medium heat (if using).
- Pat chicken dry and cut into steaks. To do this, place your hand flat on top of chicken breast and use a knife to slice through horizontally to make two thin steaks. Toss chicken in a shallow bowl with seed mix and salt to coat. Season with pepper.
- Add bulgur, bulgur spices and a pinch of salt to a heat-proof, bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for 15-18 minutes until grains are tender. Drain well through a sieve.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan on medium-high heat and cook chicken for 2-3 minutes each side, until cooked through. Set aside, uncovered, for about 5 minutes to rest.
- While chicken cooks, add onion to a large bowl along with vinegar, lemon zest and juice, olive oil and mustard and whisk to combine.
- Toss carrots and radishes together in bowl with drained bulgur wheat and remaining citrus salad ingredients. Season to taste.
To serve, pile spiced bulgur onto plates and top with seeded chicken. Drizzle with pomegranate dressing.
1 teaspoon each of chia seeds, poppy seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
Bulgur spice mix
½ teaspoon each cumin, coriander and paprika and ¼ teaspoon each garlic powder and turmeric
In a large bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard; 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses; 2 tablespoons white wine; and 1 tablespoon runny honey. Add 6-7 tablespoons olive oil in a thin stream while whisking constantly until all is incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Will kepp in frdge up to a week. Makes about 3⁄4 cup.