This great raw salad makes the perfect lunch to take to work – it’s so healthy and so tasty!
This salad is packed full of the goodness of raw vegetables, high in antioxidants and fibre. If you don’t have a vegetable shredder, either grate the carrot, beetroot and cabbage, or use a vegetable peeler to peel thin ribbons. The cabbage can be shredded by cutting very finely with a sharp knife. Toss the salad with cooked vermicelli noodles to make it into a more substantial meal. You could make a big batch of this and leave it in the fridge to take a portion to work each day – just wait to add dressing right before you eat it. Make sure you get really fresh salmon for the sashimi – it’ll taste much nicer! You could also use cold smoked salmon you buy from the supermarket.
- carrots 2 large, shredded
- beetroot 1 large, peeled and shredded
- spring onions 2, thinly sliced
- purple cabbage 1 cup finely shredded
- shallot 1, finely diced
- cherry tomatoes ½ punnet, halved
- mint leaves ¼ cup, torn
- coriander leaves (cilantro) ¼ cup chopped
- alfalfa sprouts 2 handfuls
- pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds small handful
- salmon fillet 300-400g, skin off, pin-boned and sliced (optional)
- fish sauce 1 ½ teaspoons
- lemons juice of 2
- sesame oil 1 ½ teaspoons
- extra-virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Toss carrots, beetroot, spring onion, cabbage, shallot, tomatoes and herbs together in a large bowl.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together and pour over the vegetables.
- Divide salad between bowls and top with alfafa sprouts, seeds and slices of salmon if using.