We all know that jam is full of sugar (as much sugar as there is fruit), which is needed to help set the jam to get the right consistency. However use chia seeds and you get the same jammy consistency, without having to use all that sugar!
When combined with liquid, chia seeds produce a gelatinous texture (kind of like jelly) that helps things set, so they work a treat for making jam! Believe it or not, this jam only has a couple of tablespoons of sweetness (you can use either sugar or honey). I never thought there could be such thing as a healthy jam, but here you go! It also makes a delicious fruity topping for muesli or yoghurt, custard or ice cream.
- raspberries 2 cups, thawed frozen or fresh
- chia seeds 3 tablespoons
- vanilla essense ½ teaspoon
- water 2 tablespoons
- sugar or liquid honey 1-2 tablespoons, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a small pot and boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, for a few minutes until raspberries have broken down and mixture slightly thickens.
- Sweeten to taste with a little more sugar or honey if needed. Store in clean, sterilised jar in the fridge. It will set a little more in the fridge, and will keep for about 2 weeks.