Prune, Walnut and Banana Breakfast Loaf
I love a good slice of this breakfast loaf in the morning – it makes a great start to the day with a cup of coffee or milk. Slice a piece off and breakfast is served! It’s nice slightly warmed up in the microwave (and with a little spread of butter!). You could also freeze this loaf pre-sliced and just pop in the toaster whenever you feel like it! If you dont want to use regular flour you could always substitute it with almond, coconut or rice flour, and if you are avoiding refined-sugar you could add in 1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped dates – just add them to the boiling water with the prunes!
- prunes 1 cup chopped
- baking soda 1 teaspoon
- boiling water ½ cup
- butter 50g, softened
- brown sugar 1 cup
- vanilla essence 1 teaspoon
- egg 1, beaten
- bananas 2, mashed
- walnuts 1 cup, chopped
- baking powder 1 teaspoon
- plain flour 2 cups
- mixed spice ½ teaspoon
Preheat oven to 180°C/355 Fahrenheit.
- Put prunes and baking soda in a bowl. Pour over boiling water and mash up prunes a bit.
- Beat butter with sugar and vanilla until thick, light and creamy, then beat in egg. Mix in mashed banana, nuts and mashed prunes.
- Sift flour, baking powder and mixed spice together. Add to wet mixture and fold the two mixtures together until well combined. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon batter into a greased loaf tin and roughly smooth out the top. Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf springs back when lightly touched. Leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Tip: the loaf freezes well.