Pan-Fried Haloumi with Golden Beetroot Salad
Pan-Fried Haloumi is one of my favourite additions to a tasty salad – crispy on the outside and oozy on the inside, yum!
This salad uses golden beetroot which you should be able to find at specialist food stores, but you can always just use regular purple beetroot. Pomegranate molasses is a thick slightly sour syrup that tastes incredible in salad dressings. It should be available in most supermarkets or otherwise in ethnic food stores.
To make this recipe gluten-free, the bulgur wheat could be swapped for quinoa or even wild rice for a delicious nutty flavour.
This recipe was well-loved in the My Food Bag Gourmet Bag.
Golden Beetroot Salad
- bulgur wheat ½ cup
- golden beetroot 1 medium, peeled, grated
- carrot 1, peeled, grated
- golden raisins or sultanas 2 tablespoons
- avocado ½ – 1, diced
- baby spinach leaves ½ bag, roughly chopped
- mint leaves ¼ cup finely chopped
Pomegranate Molasses Dressing
- wholegrain mustard 2 teaspoons
- pomegranate molasses 1 teaspoon
- olive oil 1½ tablespoons
- runny honey 1 teaspoon
- salt ¼ teaspoon
- haloumi cheese 200g
- slivered or chopped almonds ¼ cup
- sunflower seeds ¼ cup
Bring a full kettle to the boil.
- Add bulgur and a pinch of salt to a small, heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for 15–18 minutes, until grains are tender. Drain well.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together in a large bowl along with the beetroot, carrot and golden raisins. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the meal.
- Heat a large fry-pan on medium heat. Add almonds and sunflower seeds and toast for 2–3 minutes, shaking pan occasionally, until lightly golden brown. Remove almonds and sunflower seeds from pan, remove pan from heat and set both aside.
- Add avocado, spinach, mint and cooked bulgur to salad. Season with salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Return fry-pan to medium-high heat with a small drizzle of oil. Pat haloumi cheese dry with paper towels and slice 0.5cm. Cook haloumi cheese for 2–3 minutes each side, until golden brown and starting to melt.
TO SERVE, Divide golden beetroot salad between plates and top with pan-fried haloumi. Sprinkle over toasted almonds and sunflower seeds.