Lamb Burgers with Wasabi Lime Mayo and Mango Slaw
The wasabi lime mayo give these Asian inspired lamb burgers a real kick!
This mayo can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks, and can be used to make any dish that little bit more exciting! Try it with my tasty BBQ prawns or barbecued lime and chilli crayfish. Lamb burgers make a great change from the usual beef, and the rich lamb really compliments the sweet mango in the slaw. Be sure to taste your wasabi before you add it to the mayo, or add small amounts at a time to get it to your desired level of heat – some wasabi pastes can have a lot more heat than others!
Lamb burger patties
- breadcrumbs 1/3 cup
- milk 2 tablespoons
- lamb mince 600g
- onion ½, grated or very finely chopped
- free-range egg 1
- salt 1 teaspoon
- freshly ground black pepper ½ teaspoon
- thyme 2 tablespoons finely chopped
Wasabi lime mayo
- good quality mayonnaise 1/3 cup
- wasabi paste 1-2 teaspoons
- lime finely grated zest of 1
- lime juice of ½
Lime and sesame dressing
- limes juice of 2
- soy sauce 2 tablespoons
- sesame oil 2 teaspoons
- brown sugar 1 teaspoon
- red cabbage 2 cups finely shredded
- carrot 1, shredded or cut into thin matchsticks
- green mango 1, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
- spring onion (scallion) 3, finely sliced
- burger buns 4-5 (or 8-10 slices ciabatta or sourdough)
- Combine all lamb burger patty ingredients together in a large bowl and mix together well with clean hands. Shape into 4-5 patties and set aside on a clean plate in the fridge to firm up a little. Heat a good drizzle of olive oil on BBQ hot plate or in a large fry pan on medium high heat. Cook lamb burger patties for 3-4 minutes each side until well browned and cooked through.
- If using burger buns, cut in half. Brush split burger buns, sourdough or ciabatta with olive oil and grill for 2-3 minutes each side or until lightly toasted and golden.
- Mix wasabi lime mayo ingredients together.
- Mix dressing ingredients together and toss with all slaw ingredients.
To serve, spread some wasabi lime mayo on bottom burger bun half or slice of toasted bread, top with a merino burger and some slaw. Top with other top burger bun half or slice of toasted bread. Serve with extra slaw on the side.