I just love ham steaks with seared pineapple on a hot summers day, preferably close to the beach! This recipe is a delicious, summery way to finish off the Christmas ham.
You can buy thickly cut ham steaks at the supermarket, so you can enjoy this taste of summer year-round. Kids especially love this recipe, though you may want to omit the extra chilli in the sauce!
This recipe is a great casual lunch or dinner when served with a potato salad (or new potatoes tossed in mint and butter…yum!), and a leafy salad. It’s the kind of thing I can imagine eating while sitting outside at a bach, with the sound of waves crashing in the distance!
For a great Christmas ham recipe, try this Sticky Christmas Glazed Ham.
- fresh pineapple 1
- sweet chilli sauce or relish (check label if eating gluten free) ¼ cup
- red chilli, finely sliced ½
- olive oil, for cooking
- thick slices ham from the bone 4
- limes, halved 2
- Peel pineapple and slice off four pristine circles.
- Mix the sweet chilli sauce with the sliced chilli in a small serving bowl.
- Heat a frying pan or barbeque hotplate, add a drizzle of olive oil and sear the ham and pineapple slices for 1-2 minutes on each side, until hot and caramelised.
- Top each ham steak with a slice of seared pineapple. Drizzle with sweet chilli sauce and add half a lime for squeezing.
- Store the remaining peeled pineapple in a plastic container in the fridge; it will keep for several days.