Cheat’s shrimp gumbo with pesto
If you’ve never tried gumbo before, this easy recipe is the perfect excuse!
Warming, spicy and wonderfully smokey, a bowl of gumbo is my ultimate idea of comfort food. I’ve given it a bit of a fresh boost by stirring through a couple of spoonfuls of pesto. The bright notes of basil, pine nuts and lemon pair beautifully with the rich flavours of the gumbo. My Homemade Pesto is the perfect fit for this dish – all you need is a handful of ingredients, a food processor and 10 minutes!
This recipe is from the June/July issue of NADIA magazine.
Photography by: Vanessa Lewis.
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- garlic 2 cloves, finely chopped
- onion 1, diced
- red chilli 1, seeds removed, finely sliced
- smoked paprika 1 teaspoon
- chopped tomatoes 2 tins
- red kidney beans 1 tin, rinsed and drained
- cooked shrimps or small prawns 250 g
- sea salt
- pesto 2-3 tablespoons
- crusty bread to serve (omit for gluten free)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the garlic, onion, red chilli and smoked paprika for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until soft and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and beans and simmer for 5 minutes, then add the shrimps and cook for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Season well with sea salt and cracked pepper and stir through the pesto.
- Serve warm with crusty bread for mopping up the juices, if desired.