Believe it or not, grilled pineapple and basil is one of the best dessert flavour combinations – basil is so aromatic and floral, it is stunning with sweet tropical pineapple. It’s all brought together by the sharpness of the lime, and cool, creamy yoghurt.
Grilled pineapple would hands-down be one of my favourite desserts – it never fails to make people go “wow!” and, on top of that, it’s dead easy and fast to make – my kind of dessert! It’s gluten-free and is dairy-free if you use coconut yoghurt (which complements the tropical flavours beautifully) but also would be great with regular Greek yoghurt.
- fresh pineapple 1
- butter or coconut oil 1 teaspoon
Basil and lime sugar
- basil leaves about 10 (remove all stems)
- lime zest of 1
- white sugar ¼ cup
- natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt 1/2 cup
- coconut thread or coconut flakes 2 tablespoons, lightly toasted
- lime 1, cut into 4 wedges
- Cut skin off pineapple using a sharp knife. Cut pineapple in half lengthways, then slice 1cm thick. Cut out tough inner core from each piece.
- Heat butter in a grill pan on medium to high heat. Grill pineapple for about 2 minutes each side or until caramelized. Alternatively, cook pineapple on the barbeque.
- To make the basil lime sugar, bash basil leaves and lime zest with 2-3 teaspoons of the sugar in a mortar and pestle, until a green paste forms. Add remaining sugar and mix into the paste with a teaspoon – it will turn into bright green sugar!
To serve, place 3-4 slices of grilled pineapple on each plate and sprinkle over basil lime sugar and coconut. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt on the side, and wedge of lime to squeeze over just before eating.