Feijoa and Blackberry Crumble
Feijoas would have to be one of my all time favourite fruits, especially in crumble!
Growing up in New Zealand I had a big feijoa tree in the backyard that produced bucket loads of feijoas! and so Mum would make feijoa jams, cakes, and crumbles! The distinct sweet and sharp flavour of feijoas makes for a perfect alternative to green apples – making it a little different to your traditional apple and blackberry crumble.
- feijoas 1.5kg, flesh scooped out and roughly chopped
- blackberries or boysenberries 1 cup fresh, frozen or canned (drained well)
- liquid honey 2 tablespoons
- orange zest of ½
- brown sugar ½ cup
- fine rolled oats ¾ cup
- ground almonds ¾ cup
- butter 50g, diced
- ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- baking powder 1 teaspoon
- salt pinch of
- yoghurt, ice cream or whipped cream
Preheat oven to 180 degC/355 Fahrenheit.
- Combine feijoas, blackberries, honey, orange zest and juice in a medium-sized baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar, rolled oats, ground almonds, butter, cinnamon powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Rub the butter into the mixture with your finger tips, until it resembles breadcrumbs. Spoon crumble topping over the feijoa blackberry mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden and crunchy, 30-40 minutes.Serve crumble with yoghurt, ice-cream or whipped cream.