If you love south-east Asian flavours, you’ll love this marinade of coriander, lime and fish sauce. Serve with a light salad or veges for a great healthy dinner, or an extra special packed lunch for work.
Boneless chicken thighs are ideal for barbecuing – they cook fast and stay moist and juicy. The coriander stalks give a really strong flavour, I always use them when cooking with this delicious herb! When cooking any meat it should not be cold straight from the fridge, allow it to stand at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before cooking so that it cooks through evenly.
- chicken thighs 8 boneless and skinless
- coriander (cilantro) 1 bunch (roots, stalks and leaves), chopped
- garlic 3 cloves, minced
- lime juice 1/4 cup
- lime finely grated zest of 1
- fish sauce or soy sauce 1 1/2 tablespoons (GF if required)
- brown sugar 1 tablespoon
- ginger 2 teaspoons finely grated
- sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- To make the marinade, blend all ingredients together in a food processor or blender until a paste. Alternatively, if you don’t have a food processor or blender, chop the coriander very finely and mix with all other ingredients, or crush all ingredients (except lime juice) in a mortar and pestle until a paste, then stir in lime juice.
- Combine chicken with marinade and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove chicken from fridge and stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes (your meat will cook much more evenly if it is at room temperature before cooking). Cook on a preheated BBG grill (medium to high heat) for 3-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Allow to rest for a few minutes before serving.